Thursday, January 28, 2010

Best of Silver Spring

Via the South Silver Spring Neighborhood Association, I found a list of the Washingtonian's "Best of Silver Spring." It's a good rundown of local restaurants and shops in the area. There are a fair amount of chain places around here  - but one thing I do like about Silver Spring is that the local mom and pops can hold their own. Despite the recent demise of Mayorga Coffee (which had the best darn turkey melt of all time, until they took it off the menu a few months prior to closing, and yes, I am still bitter about that), we've still got plenty of other locally run shops. The local hardware chain, Strosnider's, for example, is much more convenient than trekking out to Home Depot out in the 'burbs, and the service is always friendly and helpful. Nothing beats being able to chat up an employee about what's really the best deal on paint or Christmas lights. (Finding a good hardware shop really is a bit like finding a good mechanic, don't you think?) Anyway, I've been in DTSS for about a year and a half now, but I haven't had the time to try all of these places on the Washingtonian list. Since I'll probably be moving sooner rather than later it seems, I'll be looking forward to checking out some of the restaurants on the list before I relocate.

Other favorites of mine that didn't make it on the list:
TPSS co-op (for organic and non-overwhelming grocery shopping)
Addis Ababa (Ethiopian)
Bombay Gaylord (Indian)
Sabroso (I've heard it rivals El Pollo Rico, which is on the list, and which also means I should taste test this to find out)

No comments: