Friday, April 23, 2010

Golf

I have been trying different outdoor activities this spring, and the latest one is golf. My golf career has been a long time in the making, starting with my many years of experience playing mini-golf on vacations to the beach. However, until about last year, I had never been to a driving range (what I like to call 'real golf'), so my loving boyfriend kindly took it upon himself to teach me a few things about golf. Quote, "You're taking an interest in what I'm doing!" As he has just now purchased himself a shiny new set of golf clubs, he has bequeathed the former set to me, so I am now, surprisingly, A Person Who Has Golf Clubs. The fact that I'm not totally sure what a wood is or does is besides the point (please leave snickering comments below). Now, I just have to get some practice in, and I'll be golfin' it up and making important business deals on the green in no time.

Luckily for me, there are a couple of places to practice golf around here, and I am happy to report that I have not taken out any people or small animals with any errant balls thus far.

One place to go is Top Golf down in Alexandria. This is a place where not only you can whack balls long distances, but you can play for points based on how far you have whacked said balls. It is like Mini Golf for Grownups.

Another place to go is the Paint Branch Golf Complex. It's only about 20 minutes from my house, which is better for me if I want to go hit some balls after work. To quote my boyfriend, "This is better than happy hour!" We went last night (which marked the third occasion of me practicing my swing), and I even surprised myself with a few good shots. I'm telling you, it's all that Tiger Woods Golf for Wii that I've been playing. The PBGC also offers lessons for about $150 for 6 lessons, which I'm thinking about doing. (Has anyone taken golf lessons before? Is this a good deal?)

So, have any of you readers out there ever played golf? Got any golf tips for me?

No comments: