Friday, July 2, 2010

The Eat-Cute: So this eggplant walks into a restaurant...

I have had vegetables coming out of my ears for weeks!!

What an image. "Coming out of my ears" is such a strange idiom of the English language.

Anyway, what's cooking this week? Sandwiches, eggplant, and some green beans.

DC-Inspired Recipes: Grilled turkey, swiss, and sun-dried tomato sandwich
This week on Prince of Petworth I discuss grilled sandwiches and wine.

More from the kitchen: 
I enjoyed this recipe for Eggplant Au Gratin from Taste of Home, which was mentioned in my local farmer's market newsletter. I think "au gratin" is misleading, though, as the term implies something redolent of herbs and fine French cheeses. For this particular recipe though, which consists of eggplant topped with the comfort-food standbys of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, I might have been tempted to call it, "An Eggplant Walks Into A Vaguely Italian-Themed Eatery." (He walks out feeling a little baked.) 


And lastly,
I made some Green beans with mustard sauce,  from the Doubleday Cookbook. I've been working my way through this 700+ page tome, one vegetable at a time. This recipe is nothing unusual - just beans with a basic sauce, fancied up with some mustard. You will probably see mustard as a re-occurring theme on here on my blog. Please direct yourself to the nearest "unsubscribe" button if this does not amuse you. For my fellow cooking enthusiasts, I have posted the recipe.


Ingredients:
Green or yellow string beans
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/4 cup of green bean boiling water
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of yellow mustard (like the Corona Lime Mustard I made awhile back)
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce

Directions:
Clean and trim the beans. Boil the beans for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan.
4. Stir in the flour into the butter. Stir in the water and the milk into the butter-flour paste, stirring "constantly" until it's thickened. Stir the mustard and W. sauce into the sauce. Eat the beans with the sauce.

No comments: