Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vegetable Salad with Eggplant, Green Beans, and Tomatoes

I had more vegetables than usual last week from the farmers' market, so I was getting pretty desperate for ways to use them all up before they went bad. Not a bad problem to have, I suppose.  I came across a recipe for a tangy vegetable and peanut salad that I liked. It worked out well for bringing it along with me for lunch when I didn't have access to a microwave. 




The salad:
Eggplants (I used a mix of long skinny ones and short round ones)
Green beans
Tomatoes (I used red and yellow ones)
Peanuts

The dressing (I changed the proportions from the original recipe - less salt): 
5 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons fish sauce

1. Slice the eggplant and broil for 8 minutes. Snap the beans into bite-size pieces. Boil for less than 5 minutes (depending on how firm or soft you like them) Chop the tomatoes. Mix all vegetables and the peanuts together. 
2. Mix the ingredients for the dressing together. Toss with the salad. The dressing is enough for about 3-4 servings of salad.  



No comments: