Monday, January 7, 2008

Books and their stories

Books I read in 2007, in order of reading:

These I found at my local thrift store:
1. 4 Blondes - Candace Bushnell
2. Lucky Girls - Nell Freudenburger
3. Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman
7. Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
8.The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
10. Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya sisterhood - Rebecca Wells
12. Bridget Jones Edge of Reason - Helen Fielding
14.The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury

This one was given to me by a friend, R., after he didn't need it for a class anymore, :
4. Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

This one was recommended to me by my thesis advisor on the topic of
noir literature:
5. The Black Dahlia - James Ellroy

These were recommended to me by friends near and far, most of which I was able to find at the GW library:
6. Wicked - Gregory Maguire
19. Chronicles of Clovis - Saki
21. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
22. Animal Farm - George Orwell
27. On the road - Jack Kerouac
20. Kafka on the shore -
Haruki Murakami

This one was given to me for my birthday from my "little sis," T.:
9. The Good Earth - Pearl Buck

These were loaned to me by my roommate last year, L.:
11. Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
13. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

This one was given to me by my high school English teacher when she retired:
15. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

These I found at the UVA Graduate English Dept.'s used book sale:
16. The Year of Ice - Brian Malloy
17. Kaffir Boy - Mark Mathabane

This one I found while browsing through the GW library:
18. Innocent World - Ami Sakurai

These were loaned to me by my co-workers:
23. No Matter How Loud I Shout - Edward Humes
25. The nanny diaries -
Emma Mclaughlin and Nicola Kraus
29. The Golden Compass - Phillip Pullman

This one I found at College Park bookstore for free:
28. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

These were loaned to me by a nutjob I found on craigslist:
24. Body Language - Pease
26. The Game: penetrating the secret society of pickup artists - Neil Strauss

And most turned out to be excellent reads during an excellent year :)

No comments: