Thursday, April 16, 2009

Accidental Brownies

Hmm, this blog is swifly becoming a culinary blog. Who knew?

Tonight I made brownies, completely by accident, and they were delicious and fluffy. How's that you say?

Well, the intention was to make cookies. Having a few basic ingredients around, like cocoa power, butter, eggs, and flour, I decided to try a recipe for Dark Chocolate Oatmeal cookies from Epicurious.com.

Upon reading the reviews, I decided it would be best if I added extra eggs, broken-up Hershey's bars, and oatmeal to the recipe as other cooks suggested. However, I misread the advice and mixed in 2 eggs instead of the recommended 1. Oops! As soon as I put the runny cookie batter lumps in the oven and saw them melt, I knew I had to take them out immediately and regroup. My solution? Add in extra flour, extra oatmeal, and pour it in a brownie pan. (Even if it turned out terrible, what the heck, if it has chocolate in it, someone would eat it. ) I was expecting something vaguely resembling a cookie bar.

Surprise! Deliciously fluffy brownies! This is coming from the girl who, during all other past attempts at brownies, has only come out with a flat, sponge-like substance. I may just have discovered how to make dessert after all :)

My recipe for Accidental Brownies, adapted from Epicurious:

1/2 cup all purpose flour, plus 1/4 cup (divided)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (room temp-ish - I left mine out for about 15 minutes)
About 1/3 cup steel-cut oats
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips + 3-4 mini Hershey bars, broken up
Powdered sugar

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350. Sift the first four powder ingredients (leave out the final 1/4 cup of flour). Beat the butter. Add the sugar to the butter. Add the dry stuff to the butter mix. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, add to the mix. Stir in oatmeal as you wish. Add in the chocolate. Add in the final 1/4 cup of flour (I didn't sift it - I have no idea if this makes a difference). Consistency will be runnier than cookie dough, but less pudding-like than a cake, because of the oatmeal.

Grease and paper a square metal brownie pan. (I cut the parchment paper to fit, with some hanging over the sides to lift it out easily.) Pour in the batter, lick spoons and bowls as desired :) Stick it on the top rack in the oven for about 20 minutes (mine was 19 exactly). Stick a pick in it for doneness. Take it out, let it cool. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Cut into brownies. Mine were very fluffy and enjoyable! If you try it, hopefully yours will be too! Wish I had pictures - but I packed them all up for tomorrow already. Maybe next time :)

No comments: