Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fennel Pizzas

Inspired by the delicious Fennel Sausage pizza I had at a place called Pizzeria Mozza in L.A., I decided to make my own pizzas tonight for dinner. 

As the base, I used thin crust pre-made crusts from the grocery store. I'd loved to have made my own dough, but as I was mostly experimenting with the toppings, I thought it would be easier if I didn't also have to learn how to make pizza dough. 

The first one was topped with italian sausage, grated fennel, caramelized onion, and mozzarella cheese. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Fennel gives the pizza a really light spice. 



Then, I made a pizza with a tomato sauce base, topped with sausage, onions, fennel, and sun-dried tomatoes. This one was pretty busy and had a lot of flavors going on. 




So those were the LA style pizzas.

I also made a more unusual-tasting pizza, with curry powder, pineapple, and grated fennel. If you haven't tried curry powder on pizza,  it's actually quite good. The fennel was kind of an afterthought, but it worked out alright.




Hehe, it looks like pacman!


No comments: