Monday, April 12, 2010

flip flop weather

During flip flop weather, there's nothing like being a tourist in your own city. Having recently put brand-new tires on my bike (thanks to the fine folks at Silver Cycles, who didn't swindle me when I came in to get it checked out), I've been out touring the trails and sights of DC - namely, Rock Creek and Mount Vernon trails. I think it would be cool to do a blog post on good bike-and-lunch destinations one day, so stay tuned for that in the future. 


I spent this past weekend entertaining my parents, during their belated trip to wish me a happy birthday. They love to visit free museums, so off to the Mall we went. We went to the American History museum for my mom where we watched videos of Julia Child roast a lobster in 2 sticks of butter, and we went to the Air and Space museum for my dad. My favorite exhibit featured the history of passenger airlines, complete with a walk-in cross section of a plane. 


It is funny that people used to get dressed up to fly on a plane. I am just glad that nowadays I can wear my jeans and flip flops and snuggle up next to the window whenever I fly. Plane naps are the best. Second to that are metro naps. See, normally naps make me feel like I am wasting time. But, if I am en route to a destination, I really don't have much else to do, so it is very efficient to both travel and nap. Plus, I feel somewhat victorious for being able to fall asleep amidst the noise of engines and people talking.  I am flying this weekend, actually, to go visit some friends in a flip-flop friendly clime, so I am looking forward to some spectacular plane napping. 











No comments: