Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Fruit Snob Cooks Apples

As some of you might know, I am a fruit snob. And I had an apple dilemma the other day. I had these green apples from the supermarket that my mom gave me.  I have been a fruit snob ever since college when I had "organic" apples for the first time. I realized that apples actually taste good if you don't buy them from a crappy grocery store that ships, over thousands of miles, apples that are genetically engineered to survive Armageddon (also known as "last winter's snowstorm"). Ever since then, I can't stand conventionally grown apples because they taste like sour cardboard in comparison to normal apples. Actually, I think that makes me less of a fruit snob and more of a "person who doesn't eat things that don't taste like food."

But what does that have to do with this delicious recipe?

I knew there must be some way to salvage these apples. As wretched as they were, I didn't have the heart to just throw them out. Since my main beef with these apples was that they were stiff and juice-less, my idea was that cooking them over the stove would bring out their hidden juicy attributes.

APPLE MAKEOVER TIME!

I only had 1 apple left, so making some sort of dessert or apple pie was out of the question. I also needed to eat dinner.

I am always rather thrilled when I can make dinner out of random ingredients in my fridge and rehabilitate some produce along the way.

Enough of the small talk, here it is: Penne with Pancetta and Green Apples in Bleu Butter Sauce


For this one, I took some pancetta, maybe some onions and/or garlic, green apples, and some light food spraying. Not much though since there is more butter later on. 

Anyway, I sauteed that. Meanwhile I cooked some  penne pasta. 

Then, I melted some Bleu Butter into the pancetta/apple sautee. Bleu butter is a kind of flavored butter that I made awhile back that is just butter, bleu cheese, and pepper, processed together and then frozen into a roll. When it's re-melted, it works well on vegetables or pasta because it gives that bleu cheese tang without the overwhelming crumbly- or saltiness. Then, I blended the sautee mixture into the pasta. How do you like them apples? 

No comments: