Monday, January 10, 2011

Shrimp Linguine in White Wine

Today's recipe for Linguine and Shrimp comes out of the "Muscle Chow" cookbook from Men's Health. Yeah I know, the herbs on top of the pasta make it look pretty manly.

My boyfriend brought this cookbook home, and I was actually a bit surprised at how useful it was. It's supposedly geared towards guys who want to be healthy but don't really know how to cook. But I suspect, maybe it's for their girlfriends after all? (Is it that hunky guy on the cover that does it?) The recipes tend to be based on a few simple ingredients that can be assembled quickly without a lot of extra sauces. It doesn't stoop to "here's how to boil an egg" for dummies, though. I've tried some other good recipes for roasted sweet potatoes and steak and carrots from this book.

This particular recipe is OK, although not spectacular. Most of the flavor relies on white wine and tomatoes, and it's ultimately not terribly satisfying. The recipe claims that this is a great way "to show friends that eating healthy isn't that difficult," which I definitely disagree with. First of all, it's pasta, which is arguably not all that healthy. Secondly, I don't think this dish would impress anyone with its bland flavor, so I will not be making it for my friends. I will, however, be posting it on my blog, so if you are interested in making a mediocre shrimp and pasta dish, you will be well equipped to do so.




The essentials for Linguine and Shrimp:
1) Sauteeing a base of onion/garlic/red pepper
2) Adding in white wine
3) Cooking seafood (shrimp or clams) and tomatoes in the "sauce"
4) Tossing that with linguine

No comments: