Thursday, January 8, 2009

GRE

Studying for the GRE to take this Saturday. I'm a little sick of vocab flashcards and 30-60-90 triangles. 

Today's "This really grinds my gears" moment - The PowerPrep GRE cd. You could say it makes me feel, hmm, what's a good GRE word? Irascible. There ya go. The CD (or the version of the program on the website) doesn't work on a Mac or on Windows Vista 64-bit. And when it does work, the screen resolution is like 640 by whatever. If I have to pay $140 to take a test, I deserve a forwards-compatible program to practice with. Luckily, my roommate is letting me borrow her computer tomorrow to use the CD. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will actually work.

Also, my neighbor is really, REALLY loud. Loves to shout at his TV while watching sports games. Occasionally I hear banging on the wall. He's a nice enough guy, but he's mentally/developmentally challenged, so I think he has no idea how loud he is. Which stinks, because I understand the situation and wouldn't want to get him "kicked out", but at the end of the day (literally - the noise often continues past midnight), he's still way too loud.  That's the dilemma - do you continue to try to be compassionate and understanding about it, or do you take the insensitive approach and complain about it to the landlord? It's times like these when the "quiet and comfortable living environment" clause in a lease just doesn't help out. 


In other news, things are going really well. I went to a really good Power Yoga class earlier this week, have been making more delicious recipes from my new cookbook, and am getting closer to finishing that sweater I've been knitting off and on for about a year now. WOW, that was the biggest dose of estrogen I have ever injected into a sentence. I also successfully wired some virtual reality equipment with a sound system this week. There, I feel better. 


No comments: