Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Stuffed Poblano Peppers





After I went to Oyamel for Restaurant Week this summer, the delicious chiles featured on the menu inspired me to try making a chile pepper recipe at home. I came home with poblano peppers that week from the farmers' market. Today's recipe is for Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Beef, based on this recipe (FineCooking). Let me just sing the praises of poblanos here for a moment. Poblanos are the best peppers in the world, because they are slightly spicy, but not obnoxiously so, smell fantastic, and let's face it, they are the cooler cousin to the more pedestrian bell pepper.  

While the original recipe uses chicken, fajita beef is what I had in my freezer, so obviously I made a substitution. Obviously, it still tastes good that way. 

Step One: Make the tomato puree: 




 Step two: Char, slice, and clean the peppers. An odd process, as I couldn't help but feeling I was doing something really unsavory to these poor peppers. (The yellow one is just a regular pepper, not a poblano).  



Step three:
Put the puree in the rice. 


step 4: Stuff the peppers and blah blah blah. 

Stuff your face with this stuff.

No comments: