Thursday, December 30, 2010

And the winner is...


In my last post, I mentioned a few of the desserts that I was thinking about making during the holidays.





I narrowed it down to three items that I ended up making for my Holiday Dessert Line-Up: Chocolate Truffles, Cheddar Cookies, and Chocolate-Cherry Cookies. Which item was the best? The winner is...




Chocolate truffles were fun to make, and they were a hit with my friends and coworkers. 






I decided I wanted to make dark chocolate inside, and a combination of milk chocolate and white chocolate coating on the outside. I also used some herbs and other seasonings, such as cinnamon, homemade orange zest, mint and peppermint, and cocoa powder, to top the truffles.
The recipe suggested to chop up the chocolate as small as I could before melting it, so I decided to pound the chocolate into little tiny pieces by whacking it with a wooden spoon. Is there special equipment needed for this recipe? Heck yeah - earmuffs! 






I was often asked if these are easy to make. To that I would say...yes and no. They take awhile to make, because you have to wait for the chocolate to cool, but each step only takes a few minutes. The hardest part was rolling the dark chocolate ganache balls (the filling) into melted chocolate because the melted chocolate didn't coat them as smoothly as I would have liked. The easiest part was making the ganache balls - rolling the pasty chocolate into balls is just as simple as it is to make cookies.






Stay tuned for Part 2 of the Holiday Dessert Line-Up which will feature Cheddar Cookies and Chocolate-Cherry Cookies!



No comments: